Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What's for Lunch 1/6/2010


My fiance despises asian food. I have a soft spot for it, especially when I make it at home. I recently found a recipe for a peanut sauce and rice stick noodles and set out to make it. I wasn't 100% about the peanut sauce because the recipe was peanut butter, soy sauce and vegetable broth mostly. That's a combo I'd never have come up with. I made the sauce per my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It made about a half a cup. I made the sauce ahead of time and stored in a jar in the fridge.

Today, upon returning from work, I warmed up some sauteed peppers (also sauteed ahead of time), sauteed a piece of cut up flank steak, and boiled some rice stick noodles. I heated up a couple dollups of sauce too. Mixed them together on a plate and feasted!

Recipe for Peanut Sauce:
1/2 c smooth peanut butter
2 T Soy Sauce
1t ginger
1/2t crushed red pepper
1/2 c vegetable or chicken broth

Rice Stick Noodles:
bring water to boil
boil rice stick noodles for 1 min


Evaluation of lunch:

Peanut Sauce: It didn't look like a lot of sauce when I put it on the steak,peppers and noodles, but it packed a very flavorful punch. I could definitely have halved the amount of sauce I gave myself and not lost any flavor. It had a definite peanut butter taste but with a surprise spiciness from the crushed red pepper.

The noodles : I didn't separate them well enough so some noodles weren't quite fully cooked. Overall they weren't too bad though.

I would definitely make this lunch for myself again. I thoroughly enjoyed my asian inspired lunch. The steak I added was an excellent addition for protein.

No comments: