Friday, January 8, 2010

Cara Cara Oranges

About a year ago, a friend and I went to the Midtown Global Market over near Abbott Norwestern Hospital in S. Minneapolis. While there, I rediscovered my love of Bubble Tea and enjoyed perusing the various offerings of each booth. I came home with a couple different fruit and vegetables, one of which was a Cara Cara orange.

It looks like a typical orange on the outside, but inside it has a pinker flesh.

From the Sunkist website:
Cara Cara Oranges
Cara Cara Oranges Cara Cara oranges, a type of navel grown in California's San Joaquin Valley, are available January through April.  Their outward appearance is similar to other navels, but their interior is a distinctive pinkish red and has an exceptionally sweet flavor with a tangy cranberry-like zing.  Cara Caras are a rich source of Vitamins A and C, fiber and Lycopene.  A perfect snack served as wedges, they're also a colorful addition to beverages or squeezed into a vinaigrette salad dressing.

It's rare that I enjoy an orange as much as I enjoy a cara cara orange. So if you're ever in the mood for an orange, but not your typical navel orange, check out the cara cara orange.

2 comments:

Chuey said...

just found a box of these at Trader Joe's! Wrapped in tissue, in a 5lb gift box...Very tasty for $6.

ET said...

I'll have to check our Trader Joes to see if they have them!