Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lemon Juice + sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) = FUN!

My glass stove top was getting quite atrocious looking and I had long since run out of the cleaner I was supplied with when I bought my stove. I wanted it clean but didn't want to have to run to Home Depot just for over priced cleaner so I tried vinegar and baking soda. I got a lot of the gunk up, but still had a hard gunky ring where the pots sit. I tried copious more amounts of baking soda and vinegar and even picked up a razor blade to try to get the gunk off, but it still wasn't quite coming off.

I hypothesized that lemon juice is a stronger acid than vinegar so the combination of the stronger acid and the baking soda may be more effective on the gunk.

SUCCESS! I still had to scrape a lot with the razor blade, but I got the last of the gunk off. And working with the lemon juice smelled much better than the vinegar.  After I was done with the scraping, I blotted up with excess liquid with paper towel. Then took a soapy rag and wiped down the stove top.

No comments: