Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Oatmeal Adventures

When I was growing up, my mom would try to make me eat oatmeal. It was usually of the instant variety and the overall soupy texture of it was completely unappetizing to my picky palette. So I swore off oatmeal and have often referred to it with extreme disdain since then.

Recently, at my part time job at Caribou Coffee, they started serving oatmeal. I begrudgingly tried some with many reminders to everyone that oatmeal is not my thing. Well, a combination of trying several of them and a more mature palette, has led me to change my mind about oatmeal. I don't think instant oatmeal has probably changed much so I'm trying to see how I can replicate the pretty good oatmeal I have access to at work, at home. So I will be trying to find my way through oatmeal land. Look for more entries.

Attempt 1:
1/2 c Quaker quick oats
1/2 c near boiling water
1 T hot milk
1 tsp brown sugar
sprinkle of salt

Mix together, covered 1 minute, stirred, added maple syrup and topped with more brown sugar

Results:
I think the caribou oats are bigger. Mine were really compact, more "paste" like. not quite as well rounded of  flavor. I predominantly tasted the sweetness of the brown sugar, a bit of the maple and then the paste like nature of the oats.

Verdict: Caribou's is still way better

Ideas for improvement: try raw sugar, follow a different recipe

No comments: