Friday, January 3, 2014

Improvised chicken in the crockpot

I had chicken to use up. Part of my evolution as a cook has involved more improvisation. Often my go to recipes rarely taste the same each time as I forgo measurement letting instinct, google and taste be my guide. I'm not quite to the point I can taste a dish and identify what its lacking. Someday... maybe. :)

Working 2nd shift, I tend to cook only a couple times a week and subsist on leftovers. Today I decided to put my new crockpot to use. 

Improvised Chicken in the crockpot

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
olive oil
onion
shallots
vegetable stock
crushed red pepper
oregano
salt 
pepper
diced tomatoes
a squirt of roasted red pepper dressing
a splotch of pesto

I browned the chicken in the oil with everything except the tomatoes. Put it in the crockpot, used some extra stock to deglaze the pan and then dumped the tomatoes over the chicken. Cooked on high for 4 hours. In my head it would almost form a sauce that would be good over penne noodles with a bit of mozzarella/parmesan cheese sprinkled on for good measure. 

I did not get to enjoy this dish yet as I was at work but I did sneak a bite of the chicken when I got home and I'm ranking it a success! Maybe i'll call it an unbreaded deconstructed chicken parmesan?

No comments: