Thursday, January 16, 2014

Fajitas

I've developed a knack for homemade fajitas. I grew weary of the prepackage fajita spices (the extra ingredients, too salty, too strong  of flavor when done with full package) so over the past few years I've amassed the spice collection to forgo those packages. Unfortunately, I don't measure anything so I'm almost guaranteed that the end result is never the same. It's kind of fun, but it can also be unpredictable. Maybe it's time I write this "recipe" down?

Brown meat (can be done with full pieces of meat of already cut into strips) in oil
As its browning: Salt, Pepper, Ancho Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper (CRP), Cayenne Pepper, Cumin (so I like pepper, huh?)
Deglaze with chicken or vegetable broth & cook down until meat is fully cooked, sometimes a second addition of liquid is needed.

If using chicken, I then transfer to my KitchenAid stand mixer and use the paddle attachment to shred the chicken.

Return to pan, taste, add more spice as necessary.

Add a splash of lime juice

Cook Bell Peppers & onion in olive oil, salt & pepper, ancho pepper, CRP

Serve with tortillas, salsa, cheese & sour cream & rice.





No comments: