Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Peeling Potatoes

A few weeks ago, a friend sent me a link featuring Dawn Wells (from Gilligans Island) giving you instruction on an easy way to peel potatoes. I do not have the opportunity to make/peel potatoes very often so I filed it away for the future.

Today I am making beef stew (see next post) which would involve peeling potatoes, thus giving me that opportunity.

Impressions: Should be easy enough, right? Looks like it involves minimal mess and effort.

Reality: the skin was definitely easy to remove, but it didn't come off QUITE as easily as the video leads you to believe. Mine came off in shreds and I still used my knife to get sections of the skin off. My hands were defnitely covered in slimy, boiled potato and potato skin residue by the time I cleaned 3 potatoes.

What went wrong? Maybe I didn't boil them long enough, or maybe they needed longer in the ice bath? I'm just not sure.

It was still significantly less effort, so I will give it a whirl again someday. If you hate peeling potatoes, this is definitely worth a shot.

No comments: