Thursday, May 6, 2010

Doo doo dadoo doo. Banana Bread. doo doo doo doo....

(*insert "Seasame Street's Mana Mana" replacing Mana Mana with banana bread)

My mom has an excellent recipe for banana bread in her Betty Crocker cookbook -- circa 1976. This  bread is so good, I'm hesitant to try others.  So I got the recipe from her and attempted my own loaf of banana bread today. I had 5 aging bananas just waiting for me to do this so I took advantage of a crummy day and did some rare baking.  I was also looking for an excuse to test out my mom's new loaf pans from Pampered Chef that I ordered for her.

I did decide to throw in some chopped almonds I had and some nutmeg for something a little extra. I'm not sharing my recipe, so there *sticks tongue out*! But I will share pictures of my beautiful beautiful banana bread, its near textbook perfection in my opinion!

Just put into the oven



Part way through baking


Done!



Side View


Cross Section


Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom......

Taste verdict: The nutmeg I added really helped bring out the sweetness of the bread when combined with the mashed bananas. I think because I used 5 bananas instead of the 3-4 it requires, I wound up with slightly sweeter bread than I expected. But its still amazing! The almonds were a great addition too for a little crunch, but they're small enough you don't notice them too much like you would walnuts. 

The pan: The pan cooked the bread so well! It had the nice even heat it promised so all edges of the bread are uniform in color, unlike thinner aluminum pans where the edges get really crispy/dark from uneven heat.

And as a bonus, my kitchen smells yummy!

No comments: