Thursday, May 6, 2010

in the spirit of new frugality and reducing waste: Lettuce saving tips

I found a fairly useful article on yahoo. Whoa! Shocker. Most of their articles prove to be useless but this one has some tips I may take away from it to prolong how long my romaine lasts.

When I first started buying lettuce, I'd buy the bagged stuff. I noticed it usually lasted for maybe a day before going past the point my finicky palate would put up with so I'd end up tossing 3/4 of a bag. Plus the mixture in the bags was predominantly the white harder part of the lettuce leaf that I absolutely could not stomach at that early point in my lettuce tolerance. So I moved onto the fancy pants world of clam case (the hard plastic case) of organic greens. And, oooo!, did I love those! They were so much better than that bagged stuff. But of course, being organic AND in a fancy container meant they cost around $5. Not to mention the decreased shelf life and tendency to throw out 1/2 of the container.

As frugality became my way of life, I started buying heads of romaine for 1.49-2.00$ at the grocery store. I figured, if I'm getting that and end up throwing 1/2 of it away, I'm still being more cost effective than the fancy pants organic stuff and probably even the bags. So that's how I roll now. :) But it still doesn't last excessively long so when I saw this article, I decided I must try some of these:

The best tip that I will try with my next lettuce purchase:
It’s worthwhile to rinse the greens, shake them to remove some of the moisture, and then roll them in a clean cotton dishtowel or a clean cotton pillowcase.  The fabric will become damp, which is good.  Put this rolled setup into the vegetable crisper for quick and easy, access to prepped greens.  This will extend the freshness for many days.
Never thought to do that. I'll admit, I actually don't rinse my greens. *insert shock and awe here* I don't because rinsing the whole thing and putting it back in the fridge wet will just speed up the spoiling process and because... well I'm just too lazy. But maybe this towel trick will work and I'll be a changed girl, .... or not; but it's worth a try!

No comments: