Monday, November 23, 2009

What's for dinner 11/23/09

Tonight's menu:

Wisconsin Walleye Au Gratin
Parmesan roasted Broccoli
Long Grain and Wild Rice Rice-a-Roni

2 easy recipes + 1 new recipe. I've never made walleye, let alone au gratin walleye....

Easy or hard? Scale 1 (easy)-10 (hard): 3.
I've never poached fish before. Lacking a scoop strainer, I used a large pot and a run of the mill colander. I heated the water, dropped in the colander, put the fish in there. After the 3-4 minutes per recipe of poaching, I simply lifted the strainer out. It worked perfectly!

Taste evaluation: Scale 1-10: 6. Good flavor where sauce collected. Thicker areas of just fish were on the bland side. But I'd definitely make it again. I've had walleye in restaurants and never really cared for it, but this made me ok with eating walleye.

I think the contrast of the fish + the Rice a Roni (v. little flavor) + the very flavorful broccoli was balanced. It was nice to see a plate with a variety of color on it!

No comments: